Re: Gluster 4.0: Update

I did a quick google to see what Haolo Replication was - nice feature, very useful.

Unfortunately I also found this: https://www.google.com/patents/US20160028806

>Halo based file system replication
>US 20160028806 A1

Is this an issue?

On 25 August 2017 at 10:33, Amar Tumballi <atumball@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Everyone,

3 weeks back we (most of the maintainers of Gluster projects) had a meeting, and we discussed about features required for Gluster 4.0 and also the possible dates.

  • It is agreed unanimously that the Gluster 4.0 should be feature based release, and not just time based.

  • The discussions were on what are the blocking features for 4.0 release, and below were some features which we are considering as blocker for release.

    • glusterd2:
      The scalable management interface, which will come with REST api and other admin friendly options. Will be the ONLY major blocker for release.
    • Thin clients (code: gfproxy):
      Not a blocker as it is slated to get into master branch before next release cut on 3.x series too. But we are calling it a major feature of 4.0 as it brings many benefits and also change some of the assumptions and current design principles of glusterfs project.
    • Protocol/XDR changes:
      Technically, Gluster’s RPC is implemented in a way to support changing of protocols inbetween even the minor releases, but the major changes like adding another fop (like statx(), fadvise() or similar) will need some protocol changes.
      Also in discussion is the changes to dictionary structure on wire. We will continue to work on each of this individually, and plan to work towards meeting the release timeline.
  • Dates: The plan is to have the release around 2 months from the date the final blocker patch gets into master branch.

    • Tentative: October 20th to have last patch, and Jan 1st for release.
    • Warning: The above is literally ‘tentative’, and not to be assumed as confirmed dates.

Other features users can anticipate:

  • ‘RIO volume type’
  • Extension of snapshot support for zfs / btrfs
  • Better support and documentation for monitoring
  • Halo replication:
    • Initial patches have made it to 3.11
    • Pending work is planned to be done by 4.0
  • gNFS (Gluster’s native NFS) is expected to not be packaged for distributions anymore.
    • It currently is an optional package for Fedora and CentOS Storage SIG, but we plan to not provide it at all anymore.
    • The code stays in the repository for now, but it may get dropped completely later on.
    • NFS-Ganesha is the answer for NFS protocol access starting Gluster 4.0

FAQ:

  1. Will we have 3.13 to continue the trend of 3 months release calendar?

Answer: Yes. But, it will not be a LTS release.

  1. Would 4.0 be LTS release ?

Answer: No.

More information on this topic can be found at : https://hackmd.io/s/rJaLCP38b#

Further discussions on this will be done at Gluster Summit 2017 at Prague, CZ. Try to attend in person if you can!!

Feedback welcome.

Regards,
Gluster team.

--