Re: disperse volume brick counts limits in RHES

On 05/05/17 13:49, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Serkan Çoban <cobanserkan@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:cobanserkan@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    It is the over all time, 8TB data disk healed 2x faster in 8+2
    configuration.

Wow, that is counter intuitive for me. I will need to explore about this
to find out why that could be. Thanks a lot for this feedback!

Matrix multiplication for encoding/decoding of 8+2 is 4 times faster than 16+4 (one matrix of 16x16 is composed by 4 submatrices of 8x8), however each matrix operation on a 16+4 configuration takes twice the amount of data of a 8+2, so net effect is that 8+2 is twice as fast as 16+4.

An 8+2 also uses bigger blocks on each brick, processing the same amount of data in less I/O operations and bigger network packets.

Probably these are the reasons why 16+4 is slower than 8+2.

See my other email for more detailed description.

Xavi