Re: [DHT] The myth of two hops for linkto file resolution

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Raghavendra Gowdappa <rgowdapp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All,

Its a common perception that the resolution of a file having linkto file on the hashed-subvol requires two hops:

1. client to hashed-subvol.
2. client to the subvol where file actually resides.

While it is true that a fresh lookup behaves this way, the other fact that get's ignored is that fresh lookups on files are almost always prevented by readdirplus. Since readdirplus picks the dentry from the subvolume where actual file (data-file) resides, the two hop cost is most likely never witnessed by the application.

A word of caution is that I've not done any testing to prove this observation :).

May be you should do it and send an update. That way we can use the knowledge to do something.

regards,
Raghavendra

Pranith