Re: slow write perf for disperse volume

Hi Ingard,

On 24/04/17 14:43, Ingard Mevåg wrote:
I've done some more testing with tc and introduced latency on one of my
testservers. With 9ms latency artificially introduced using tc ( sudo tc
qdisc add dev bond0 root netem delay 9ms ) to a testserver in the same
DC as the disperse volume servers I get more or less the same throughput
as I do when testing DC1 <-> DC2 (which has ~9ms ping).

I know distribute volumes were more sensitive to latency in the past. At
least I can max out a 1gig link with 9-10ms latency when using
distribute. Disperse seems to max at 12-14MB/s with 8-10ms latency.

A pure distributed volume is a simple configuration that simply forwards a request to one of the bricks. No additional overhead is needed.

However a dispersed 4+2 volume needs to talk simultaneously to 6 bricks, meaning 6 network round-trips for every request. Additionally it needs to keep integrity so one or more additional requests are needed.

If network latency is high, all these requests contribute to increase the overall request latency, limiting the throughput.

Have you tried a replica 2 or 3 ? it uses very similar integrity mechanisms so it'll also add some latency. Maybe not so much as a dispersed 4+2, but it should be perceptible.

Another test to confirm that the limitation is caused by latency is to do multiple writes in parallel. Each write will be limited by the latency, but the aggregated throughput should saturate the bandwidth, specially on a 1Gb ethernet.

Even better performance can be achieved if you distribute the writes to multiple clients or mount points (assuming they are not writing to the same file).

Xavi

ingard