Long response time on idle volume

Hello,

I'm using one volume exclusively for configuration files, therefore there is no I/O within this volume when the cluster is up and running. It is a replicate volume with three bricks, one on each node. Pacemaker is used to manage services including Gluster, using the ocf::heartbeat:Filesystem resource agent to manage mounts on the client side. This RA offers three monitor levels (0, 10, 20), I'm having problem with the monitor of level 20, which basically just writes a small status file to the volume and reads it afterward. Monitoring interval is 60 seconds and timeout is 20 seconds. Most of the time everything work just fine the monitor operation takes about a second and terminates successfully, but sometimes it times out (which makes Pacemaker think that Gluster mount failed).

My question is why it suddenly takes more than 20 seconds to write few bytes to the volume? Is there anything I can do with this (other than prolonging the timeout)?

Many thanks,
JW