Re: Sharding?

Il 09/03/2017 17:17, Vijay Bellur ha scritto:

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Kevin Lemonnier <lemonnierk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've seen the term sharding pop up on the list a number of times but I
> haven't found any documentation or explanation of what it is. Would someone
> please enlighten me?

It's a way to split the files you put on the volume. With a shard size of 64 MB
for example, the biggest file on the volume will be 64 MB. It's transparent
when accessing the files though, you can still of course write your 2 TB file
and access it as usual.

It's usefull for things like healing (only the shard being headed is locked,
and you have a lot less data to transfert) and for things like hosting a single
huge file that would be bigger than one of your replicas.

We use it for VM disks, as it decreases heal times a lot.

Some more details on sharding can be found at [1].

I haven't done any test yet, but I was under the impression that sharding feature isn't so stable/mature yet.
In the remote of my mind I remember reading something about a bug/situation which caused data corruption.
Can someone confirm that sharding is stable enough to be used in production and won't cause any data loss?

I'd really would like to use it, as it would probably speed up healing a lot (as I use it to store vm disks).

Thanks,
Alessandro