one brick vs multiple brick on the same ZFS zpool.

Hi,

Since I am new with Gluster, need your advices. I have 2 different Gluster configuration:

Purpose: Need to create 5 Gluster volumes. I am running the gluster version is 3.9.0.

Config #1: 5 bricks from one zpool
  • 3 storage nodes.
  • Using hardware raid to create one array with raid5 (9+1) per storage node
  • Create a zpool on top of the array per storage node
  • Create 5 ZFS shares (each share is a brick) per storage node
  • Create 5 volumes with replica of 3 using 5 different bricks.

Config #2: 1 brick from one zpool
  • 3 storage nodes.
  • Using hardware raid to create one array with raid5 (9+1) per storage node
  • Create a zpool on top of the array per storage node
  • Create 1 ZFS shares per storage node. Using the share as brick.
  • Create 5 volumes with replica of 3 with same share.

1) Is there any different on the performance on both config?
2) Will the single brick be handling parallel writing vs multiple brick?
3) Since I am using hardware raid controller, any option that I need to enable or disable for the gluster volume?

Best Regards,
~ Vic Le