Re: distribute replicated volume and tons of questions

On 02/22/17 12:11, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
dedup requires massive amounts of memory and is seldom worth it.
Yes, but compression is usefull

I've been using btrfs for that. In my own tests, btrfs has performed better for my use cases.

Which is why I don't like building raid volumes that large.

Personally, I only use raid on the servers to allow the disk i/o to match
the network i/o. If that means those 12 8TB disks need to be 3 raid 0
volumes (bricks) where I do sharded replica 3 or disperse volumes to meet my
redundancy requirements, then that's what I'll do.
With gluster you could avoid raid, but you still need a filesystem on
each brick.
RAID or Non-RAID, an XFS fsck still need a week to fix (if able to
fix) a 12x 8TB chassis
in a non raid configuration. I don't think that fsck is run in
parallel, it will blow down the whole server.

fsck does run in parallel. A normal fsck of an xfs filesystem exits instantly because xfs_check is the command to check an xfs filesystem. It is normally run only when there is reason to believe that the filesystem has a consistency problem.

This is where people panic about using raid 0. If you've got the redundancy,
that shouldn't be that scary. Do the math and actually calculate your
reliability. I can still get 6 nines with raid 0 bricks. Not to say you
should use raid 0, just to keep an open mind about what possibilities exist
and engineer to your SLA requirements rather than over engineering for
things that may not matter in the long run.
I don't like RAID (that's why i'm migrating to gluster)
I prefere to use gluster on single bricks