Re: Remove an artificial limitation of disperse volume

On 07/02/17 17:29, Olivier Lambert wrote:
Yep, but if I hit a 30% penalty, I don't want that :) Any idea of the
perf impact? I'll probably contact Xavier directly if he's not here!

It depends on the workload. The basic problem is that the I/O write size must be a multiple of the number of data bricks to avoid read-modify-write cycles (i.e. they write always full stripes, so no need to read anything from disk).

Normally applications issue writes that are a power of 2 (512, 4096, 131072, ...), so the best configurations for ec should also be powers of two. But of course you can have bad performance with ec even if you use a power of two if the application ends writing blocks of 1000 bytes for example.

Anyway, I cannot give you real numbers. Long time ago I did some tests but I was unable to get conclusive results. Probably I was having too many interferences from other translators that were hiding the real performance impact (maybe write-behind). This is good because this means that peak performance could be the roughly the same with "optimal" and "non-optimal" configurations, but sustained throughput should be worse for "non-optimal" configurations because at some point the caching made by write-behind and other xlators will become full and they won't be able to continue hiding the performance hit.

Some day I'll try to find time to get more accurate results regarding this issue, but for now only thing I can say is to test your specific workload with your specific configuration and see if it suffers a performance impact or not.

Xavi