replacing one brick in a distribute replicate volume in gluster 3.8

All:

I am quite new to gluster so this is likely my lack of knowledge. Here's my scenario: I have a distribute replicate volume with a replica count of 3. Each brick is on a different server and the total number of bricks in the volume is 3.

Now lets say one server goes bad or down. Now i want to bring up a new server with a single brick on that, add that into my volume, and then replicate a copy of all the files from the one of the existing bricks to the new one.

What's the procedure for doing that?

At first I thought, I would just add a new brick in and then remove the other brick. However, that didn't seem to work. The add brick command wanted a new set of bricks that match the volume replica count (so in this case three new bricks). Moreover this was a different replica set, which of course defeats the purpose of what I am trying to do.

Thanks,
Joe

PS I did try using replace-brick but discovered in the list serve this was considered a deprecated command as far back as 2012.