Cheers and some thoughts

Hi all, just wanted to mention that since I had sole use of our cluster over the holidays and a complete set of backups :) I decided to test some alternate cluster software and do some stress testing.

Stress testing involved multiple soft and *hard* resets of individual servers and hard simultaneous resets of the entire cluster, where a hard reset is equivalent to a power outage.

Gluster (3.8.7) coped perfectly - no data loss, no maintenance required, each time it came up by itself with no hand holding and started healing nodes, which completed very quickly. VM's on gluster auto started with no problems, i/o load while healing was ok. I felt quite confident in it.

The alternate cluster fs - not so good. Many times running VM's were corrupted, several times I lost the entire filesystem. Also IOPS where atrocious (fuse based). It easy to claim HA when you exclude such things as power supply failures, dodgy network switches etc.

I think glusters active/active quorum based design, where is every node is a master is a winner, active/passive systems where you have a SPOF master are difficult to DR manage.

However :) Things I'd really like to see in Gluster:

- More flexible/easier management of servers and bricks (add/remove/replace)

- More flexible replication rules

One of the things I really *really* like with LizardFS is the powerful goal system and chunkservers. Nodes and disks can be trivially easily added/removed on the fly and chunks will be shuffled, replicated or deleted to balance the system. Individual objects can have difference goals (replication levels) which can also be changed on the fly and the system will rebalance them. Objects can even be changed from/to simple replication to Erasure Encoded objects.

I doubt this could be fitted to the existing gluster, but is there potential for this sort of thing in Gluster 4.0? I read the design docs and they look ambitious.

Cheers,

--
Lindsay Mathieson