How beefy does an arbiter box have to be?

We have a few replica 2 clusters using Gluster 3.4  for various projects.

They have worked very well, but we always had to be careful about split brain when doing maintenance or in the event of a failure.

So now we are looking to do a forklift upgrade to 3.7.x and add Arbiter box(s) into the new setup (i.e replica 2 + arbiter)

Can we get away with using some older machines from the bone pile (i.e core2 cpu 2/4GB) or should we be using proper server kit?
Would SSDs on the arbiter help or are they even necessary?

Note: we are still using 1G (jumbo mtu) networking as the 10G stuff hasn't trickled down to our group yet <grin>. That is why we are mostly interested in using Arbiter rather than a true replica 3 environment.

-wk