Re: [Gluster-devel] Using geo-replication as backup solution using gluster volume snapshot!

Awesome idea!

Now Geo-rep can be used to take daily/monthly backup. With Gluster
3.7.9, we can run Geo-replication whenever required instead of running
all the time.

http://review.gluster.org/13510 (geo-rep: Script to Schedule
Geo-replication)

Full Backup:
------------
1. Create Geo-rep session.
2. Run Schedule Geo-rep script
3. Take Gluster Volume Snapshot at Slave side.

Incremental(Daily):
-------------------
1. Run Schedule Geo-rep script
2. Take Gluster Volume Snapshot at Slave side

Note: Delete old snapshots regularly.

Restore:
--------
Depending on the snapshot you want to recover, Clone the snapshot to
create new Volume and then establish Geo-replication from cloned
Volume to new volume where ever required.

If we need to restore any specific file/directory then just mount the
snapshot and copy data to required location.

regards
Aravinda