Re: AFR Version used for self-heal

On 02/25/2016 08:25 PM, Krutika Dhananjay wrote:

From: "Kyle Maas" <kyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: gluster-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:36:53 PM
Subject: AFR Version used for self-heal

How can I tell what AFR version a cluster is using for self-heal?

The reason I ask is that I have a two-node replicated 3.7.8 cluster (no
arbiters) which has locking behavior during self-heal which looks very
similar to that of AFRv1 (only heals one file at a time per self-heal
daemon, appears to lock the full inode while it's healing it instead of
just ranges, etc.), but I don't know how I would check the version to
confirm that suspicion.  I've seen mention of needing to explicitly
enable AFRv2 when upgrading Gluster from an older version, and this
cluster was one that started at an older Gluster version and was
upgraded in accordance with the upgrade docs, but I cannot seem to find
any documentation on enabling newer versions of AFR or even checking
which one I'm running at.  cluster.op-version for this cluster is
currently at 30603, and both nodes are CentOS 7 running Gluster 3.7.8.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

So if you bring one of the replicas down, create a file, and check its extended attributes from the backend (`getfattr -d -m . -e hex <path-to-the-file-from-the-brick-path-that-is-online`),
do you see this appearing in the list:

trusted.afr.dirty=0x000000000000000000000000

The cluster I'm having problems with has been around for quite a while and is very actively used.  When this cluster gets out of sync, a self-heal can take up to 24 hours due to the amount of write activity.  Any test or check which requires triggering a self-heal is difficult for me to do, so I suspect I will need to try to spin up a new cluster as a small-scale duplicate of the one I'm having problems with to be able to try this.  As a result, I will need to get back to you with the results of this experiment.

Warm Regards,
Kyle Maas