Getting the best performance v lowest energy use and small form factor

Hi All,

Looking at running a 2 node gluster setup to feed a small Virtualisation setup.  I need it to be low energy use, low purchase cost and small form factor so I am looking at 2 mini-itx motherboards.

Does anyone know what sort of throughput I can expect? ie I am looking for as good as a single drive in the VMare/kvm box but simply having redundancy for data protection and availability so nothing huge is required.

Motherboards / chipsets to look for that give great disk i/o?

ie I'd pay a premium for say a gigabyte motherbaord with a XX chipset if it had noticable better disk i/o.