Re: How to replace a dead brick? (3.6.5)

On 8 October 2015 at 07:19, Joe Julian <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/07/2015 12:06 AM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
First up - one of the things that concerns me re gluster is the incoherent state of documentation. The only docs linked on the main webpage are for 3.2 and there is almost nothing on how to handle failure modes such as dead disks/bricks etc, which is one of glusters primary functions.

Every link under Documentation at http://gluster.org points to the gluster.readthedocs.org pages that are all current. Where is this "main webpage" in which you found links to the old wiki pages?

The Community Page:

  http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php

Which is what came up at the top when i searched for gluster documentation. Might be an idea to redirect to the main docs from that page.

My problem - I have a replica 2 volume, 2 nodes, 2 bricks (zfs datasets).

As a test, I destroyed one brick (zfs destroy the dataset).

Can't start the datastore1:

  volume start: datastore1: failed: Failed to find brick directory /glusterdata/datastore1 for volume datastore1. Reason : No such file or directory

A bit disturbing, I was hoping it would work off the remaining brick.

It is still working off the remaining brick. It won't start the missing brick because the missing brick is missing. This is by design. If, for whatever reason, your brick did not mount, you don't want gluster to start filling your root device with replication from the other brick.

It wouldn't start the *Datastore*, so all bricks were unavailable. I did stop the datastore myself in the first place, but I would have expected I could restart it.

thanks,

--
Lindsay