Re: How to write a volumebackup file with 4 nodes in replica 2

On 09/01/2015 12:39 AM, Davy Croonen wrote:
Hi

We are currently running a gluster cluster with 2 nodes in replica 2. We mount the distributed volume with the gluster fuse client and a volumebackup file for failover.

The volumebackup file looks as follows:

volume node1
   type protocol/client
   option transport-type tcp
   option remote-host 10.0.0.x
   option remote-subvolume /mnt/volume/brick1
end-volume

volume node2
   type protocol/client
   option transport-type tcp
   option remote-host 10.0.0.y
   option remote-subvolume /mnt/volume/brick1
end-volume

volume replicate
   type cluster/replicate
   subvolumes node1 node2
end-volume

We now want the expand our volume with 2 extra nodes also in replica 2. The steps to achieve this are clearly explained in the manual, but what with the volumebackup file? Do we need to change this file and add the 2 extra nodes also or will the cluster manage this internally?

If we have to add the 2 extra nodes to the volumebackup file, do we then have to do this as follows?

volume node1
   type protocol/client
   option transport-type tcp
   option remote-host 10.0.0.x
   option remote-subvolume /mnt/volume/brick1
end-volume

volume node2
   type protocol/client
   option transport-type tcp
   option remote-host 10.0.0.y
   option remote-subvolume /mnt/volume/brick1
end-volume

volume node3
   type protocol/client
   option transport-type tcp
   option remote-host 10.0.0.z
   option remote-subvolume /mnt/volume/brick1
end-volume

volume node4
   type protocol/client
   option transport-type tcp
   option remote-host 10.0.0.a
   option remote-subvolume /mnt/volume/brick1
end-volume

volume replicate
   type cluster/replicate
   subvolumes node1 node2 node3 node4
end-volume

Kind regards
Davy
_

There's no need to write vol files since 3.0. If you're doing that, as you state "for failover", which I assume means you're using that in case the mount server is unavailable, that's unnecessary. Either use rrdns and specify multiple A records for a psuedo-hostname that points to each server, or use the backup-volfile-servers mount option.