Heal rate throttle

So, today, I needed to reboot one of my bricks to clear out a file handle to a deleted file that glusterfsd was holding on to. During the heal process, my infrastructure has slowed to a crawl. It's not something I could tolerate during normal business hours.

With any plain old raid array, I can tune the priority the raid controller gives to rebuilding the array versus what it gives to I/O consumers. But I'm not seeing anything like that in gluster. There's cluster.data-self-heal-algorithm, and there's cluster.self-heal-window-size, but it's not clear how they'd be useful in a volume holding large disk images, and they certainly don't seem to represent the idea of a tunable priority.

What am I missing? Am I just looking at this the wrong way?