Recovering missing files after remove-brick with brick failure

Hello, this is my first post.

In a test environment, I have been testing likely failures and how to recover from them.

I was testing the event that a disc begins to fail, and we decide to remove the brick, and its counterpart replica brick from the volume.

Steps:
1. Call 'gluster volume remove-brick' on 2 bricks in a distribute-replicate set up (with other bricks in volume).
2. During this process, physically detaching the 2nd removing brick - simulating a complete disc failure.
3. After removal, commit the removal.

Result:
A number of files on the volume are missing (around 25%).
The 'healthy' disconnected brick is still mounted, and I can see the missing files inside it.
Is there a way to restore these files back into the volume correctly. I have considered 'cp'ing them back in - but would like to know if there is a better option.

I appreciate this is a test environment, however, I feel this is a reasonably likely occurance.

Many thanks