Replicated with bricks of different sizes

We are/were running a simple 1x2 replica volume and have had a major failure on one of our gluster servers. We want to create a new replica, at least for the time being, but don't have another available server with sufficient drive space. Working on the assumption that we will not increase the disk usage, and will therefore not get anywhere near the capacity of the smaller server's drives, is it safe to create a replica using mismatched brick sizes? Will gluster even allow that?

regards,
John