Re: 100% cpu on brick replication

On 05/29/2015 12:34 PM, Pedro Oriani wrote:
Hi Pranith,

it's for sure related to a replication / healing task, because occurses when you create a new replicated brick or when you bring back online an old one.
The problem is that the cpu load on the online brick is so high that I cannot do normal operations.
In my case when a replication / healing occurs, the cluster cannot serve content.
I'm asking if there is a way to limit cpu usage in this case, or set a less aggressive mode, because otherwise I have to rethink the image repository.
Disable self-heal. I see that you already did that for self-heal daemon. Lets do that even for mounts.
gluster volume set <volname> cluster.entry-self-heal off

Let me know how that goes.

Pranith

thanks,
Pedro

Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 11:14:29 +0530
From: pkarampu@xxxxxxxxxx
To: sgunfio@xxxxxxxxxxx; gluster-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 100% cpu on brick replication

On 05/27/2015 08:48 PM, Pedro Oriani wrote:
Hi All,
I'm writing because I'm experiecing an issue with gluster's replication feature.
I've a brick on srv1 with about 2TB of mixed side files, ranging from 10k a 300k
When I add a new replication brick on srv2, the glusterfs process take all the cpu.
This is unsuitable because the volume is not responding at normal r/w queries.

Glusterfs version is 3.7.0
Is it because of self-heals? Was the brick offline until then?

Pranith

the underlaying volume is xfs.

Volume Name: vol1
Type: Replicate
Volume ID:
Number of Bricks: 1 x 2 = 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: 172.16.0.1:/data/glusterfs/vol1/brick1/brick
Brick2: 172.16.0.2:/data/glusterfs/vol1/brick1/brick
Options Reconfigured:
performance.cache-size: 1gb
cluster.self-heal-daemon: off
cluster.data-self-heal-algorithm: full
cluster.metadata-self-heal: off
performance.cache-max-file-size: 2MB
performance.cache-refresh-timeout: 1
performance.stat-prefetch: off
performance.read-ahead: on
performance.quick-read: off
performance.write-behind-window-size: 4MB
performance.flush-behind: on
performance.write-behind: on
performance.io-thread-count: 32
performance.io-cache: on
network.ping-timeout: 2
nfs.addr-namelookup: off
performance.strict-write-ordering: on

there is any parameter or hint that I can follow to limit cpu occupation to grant a replication with few lag on normal operations ?

thank