Re: performance tuning - list of available options?

On 05/05/2015 06:39 PM, Mohammed Rafi K C wrote:

On 05/05/2015 05:24 PM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
On 05/05/2015 04:34 PM, Kingsley wrote:
On Tue, 2015-05-05 at 15:08 +0530, Vijay Bellur wrote:
[snip]
I have seen this before and it primarily seems to be related to the
readdir calls done by git clone.

Turning on these options might help to some extent:

gluster volume set <volname> performance.readdir-ahead on

gluster volume set <volname> cluster.readdir-optimize on

Is there a list of all performance tuning options, and a description of
what they do? Even better if it details pros/cons of using a particular
option, or circumstances in which you might want to use it.

If such a list exists, it would be very useful. I've tried googling but
can only find pages for very old versions (eg gluster 3.2) and only
detailing /some/ options.

Knowing what the value defaults to would also be handy. In a separate
thread, someone advised me to do "gluster volume set <VOLNAME>
performance.flush-behind off", but when I found that didn't help (the
issue turned out to be something I was doing, not a fault in gluster) I
couldn't figure out what the default value was, so I didn't know whether
to leave it off, or whether it had previously been on.

Is there anything available?

Thanks for this feedback. This is something that I would like to see
captured too.

Raghavendra, Rafi - would you be able to help create a document on
this one?
I would be happy to contribute for this, but I can only spend time after
3.7 release :-) .

Thanks!

Along with the performance turning guide, we can also enhance our
development guide.

Yes, there is an ongoing effort to improve our developer guide. We expect to see some results soon.

-Vijay