Re: Problem adding brick to an existing volume

On 04/28/2015 05:14 PM, Atin Mukherjee wrote:

On 04/28/2015 04:41 PM, Oliver wrote:
Hi Gluster Users,

I am hoping that someone can help me put me on the right track maybe ..

Objective is to have a high available, extensible storage cluster with a
fair rate of redundancy.

I was thinking of a cluster of multiple machines, starting with 2
servers, 2 disks each and a config of

Volume Name: originals
Type: Distributed-Replicate
Volume ID: xx
Number of Bricks: 2 x 2 = 4
Transport-type: tcp

Volume: originals
Brick srv1:/srv/vol1 (/dev/sdb1 500GB)
Brick srv1:/srv/vol2 (/dev/sdc1 500GB)
Brick srv2:/srv/vol1 (/dev/sdb1 500GB)
Brick srv2:/srv/vol2 (/dev/sdb1 500GB)

Now I would like to add another server with JUST 1 500GB disk, peer
probe and everything is fine so far, but when it comes to adding the brick:

root@srvdst01:~# gluster volume add-brick videos srv3:/srv/vol1
volume add-brick: failed: Incorrect number of bricks supplied 1 with
count 2

Ok, trying to change the num of replica's or whatever just results in

root@srvdst01:~# gluster volume add-brick videos replica 3
srv3:/srv/vol1 (or vol3 or vol4, this doesnt matter)
volume add-brick: failed: Operation failed

No way to get around this .. What do I have to do ? Add two bricks in 1
command ? How would it work in the future when I gets to production
machines with each 2 or even more disks ?
Since the existing configuration is 2 X 2 and if you are willing to
continue to make this volume a distribute-replicate one, you should add
two bricks saying gluster v add-brick videos replica 2 <brick1> <brick2>

However, I think you could still convert it from replica 2 to replica 3
with the command what you attempted. Can you share the glusterd log file
of all the nodes to debug it further.

If you are trying to convert it to replica 3, it is "gluster vol add-brick <volname> replica 3 <brick1> <brick2>" If you want to add another distribute leg, "gluster vol add-brick <volname> <brick1><brick2>"

-Ravi
Adding Ravi in cc.

~Atin
Were great someone could gimme a hint.

Its gluster 3.4.2-1ubuntu1 amd64 on ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

regards, Oliver