gluster volume create

Hi,

I wonder what happens when the command 'gluster volume create...' is executed? How is the file system on the brick affected by that command, data and meta-data (extended attributes)?

The reason for this question is that I have a strange use case where my 2 (mirrored) servers are restarted. At an early stage of the reboot phase, I have to create a new gluster file system on each server so that the same directory can be used for read access. Later on, I would like to delete these single server volumes and replace them with the mirrored gluster volume I used before the restart.

I guess I can restore the previous volume definition from a backup of the gluster configuration files, but I'm worried that the 'gluster volume create...' command might have affected the brick so that it is in a different state compared to before the restart, when the restored gluster configuration was valid. I realize that for this to work, the extended attributes can not change while the mirrored volume is stopped.

Any idea if I can use glusterfs like this or am I violating some rules?

Regards
Andreas