gluster performance really slow

Hi,
So I used glusterfs a while back on a couple of my vps's to keep web server files synced. However, the problem is that I would go to my sites, and especially if it need to do lots of file system writing (I use wordpress, so for example updating plugins), it would usually time out my php scripts. So I did some testing, and I finally figured out that the problem seemed to be my gluster volume. I wrote to the mounted directory with dd, and got somewhere around 3 MB/s, where my servers are all using private ips, so probably have over 1g connections. I finally switched over to other tools, but none seem to be working as well (at least for the updating of files, if not the speed), and I've had pretty much show stopper issues with all over them. So here I am, and I'm trying to see if I can get the gluster setup right this time. I read online that if you move your gluster brick to a separate partition, it should work better, but I don't believe I can do that with my current host. Is there any other way to make the write/read performance not so awfully slow without moving it to a separate partition? If not, can anyone recommend an alternative that would allow me to do that? (I've tried things like unison, osync, and lsyncd, all have had major issues so far).
Thanks,
-Michael.