Re: iowait - ext4 + ssd journal

Use XFS instead of EXT4
There are many very good reasons its the new default filesystem in RHEL 7

Also SSDs are faster at random IO and small file; however a properly built RAID of spinning disks is still faster at linear reads of large file.
In general qemu does large linear reads or at least very close to it of the VM's virtual disks on boot.

-- Sent from my HP Pre3