Re: replaceing bricks from a cluster with replication

On 10/15/2014 3:46 PM, John G. Heim wrote:

You don't say, so I will assume you have 2 bricks per machine, resulting in 2 names returned when you execute a
     gluster volume list
command. I will assume that your volumes are named 'Dick' and 'Jane' and one brick per machine.

Well, maybe I'm missing something but I have only one volume. Was I supposed to do it differently?
You didn't miss anything at all :) It all depends on what you are trying to store on gluster, and how that storage needs (or doesn't need) to be separated into different volumes. If your data can all live happily together in one volume, that is just fine. Not everyone has storage requirements that are that simple. When they want to do something like this, they have to repeat for each separate volume.

In my explanation, you just can ignore step 4!

However, before you try my way, Joe Julian posted what looks like a simpler way to accomplish the same thing. You still have to work brick by brick, but he does the add and remove a brick in one step instead of my two.

Also, he (very wisely) includes the warning about waiting until each brick is fully healed before going on to the next one. Depending on the number and size of your files, the heal may take quite a while. The heal may also interfere with normal access to the stored information, because it can completely tie up your network connection shoving data across it.

Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN, USA