Re: Migrating data from a failing filesystem

On 09/24/2014 07:35 PM, james.bellinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for the info!
I started the remove-brick start and, of course, the brick went read-only
in less than an hour.
This morning I checked the status a couple of minutes apart and found:

      Node Rebalanced-files       size     scanned      failures
status
---------      -----------   --------   ---------   -----------
------------
gfs-node04             6634   590.7GB       81799         14868    in
progress
gfs-node04             6669   596.5GB       86584         15271    in
progress

I'm not sure exactly what it is doing here:  4785 files scanned, 403
failures, and 35 rebalanced.
What it is supposed to be doing is to scan all the files in the volume, and for the files present in itself, i.e.gfs-node04:/sdb, migrate (rebalance) it into other bricks in the volume. Let it go to completion. The rebalance log should give you an idea of the 403 failures.
  The used amount on the partition hasn't
changed.
Probably because after copying the files to the other bricks, the unlinks/rmdirs on itself are failing because of the FS being mounted read-only.
If anything, the _other_ brick on the server is shrinking!
Because the data is being copied into this brick as a part of migration?
(Which is related to the question I had before that you mention below.)

gluster volume remove-brick scratch gfs-node04:/sdb start
What is your original volume configuration? (gluster vol info scratch)?
but...
df /sda
/dev/sda             12644872688 10672989432 1844930140  86% /sda
/dev/sda             12644872688 10671453672 1846465900  86% /sda

Have I shot myself in the other foot?
jim