glusterfs to replace nfs?

Hi,

maybe a daft, but hopefully easy question: I'm having some issues with nfs, statd, etc., which I'm unable to resolve since months (and which are on-topic elsewhere), and am therefore looking for alternatives to mount some resources on my storage server to a couple of VMs running here.

I made very good experience with glusterfs in the past, and hence tried it: Created (local-only) volumes with only one brick in them, and mounted these on the VMs.

It appears to work - I'm just wondering if I'm naively doing something which might lead to issues...? And is there a (small) limit to the number of volumes I can create?

Thanks, Chris