Fwd: Samba vfs_glusterfs no such file or directory

Boy, it's not a good day for my list etiquette. Apologies, folks.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Gibbons <david.c.gibbons@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Subject: Re: Samba vfs_glusterfs no such file or directory
To: Niels de Vos <ndevos@xxxxxxxxxx>

Samba with vfs_glusterfs has a limit of approx. 93 groups. If 'id $USER'
returns more than 93 groups, those users can run into various issues.
'Access is denied' is one of the most common errors they'll see.

The upcoming 3.5.1 release has a 'server.manage-gids' volume option.
With this option enabled, the number of groups will be limited to 65535.

Ahh, great. I am very glad, at least, that this is a known issue and that it's being addressed.

> What am I missing here?
Very little, I would also suspect that the number of groups that those
problematic users belong to is too big.

Well that's a first :).

I will test this against the 3.5.1 release when that is ready. Is the 3.5.1 version of vfs_glusterfs backwards compatible with glusterfs 3.4, or do I need to upgrade the whole cluster to leverage the new vfs_glusterfs?

Thanks so much,
Dave