From: "Lalatendu Mohanty" <lmohanty@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: gluster-users@xxxxxxxxxxx, gluster-devel@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, 30 May, 2014 11:33:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] [RFC] GlusterFS Operations Guide

On 05/30/2014 04:50 PM, Lalatendu Mohanty wrote:

I think it is time to create  an operations/ops guide for GlusterFS. Operations guide should address issues which administrators face while running/maintaining GlusterFS storage nodes. Openstack project has an operations guide [2] which try to address similar issues and it is pretty cool.

IMO these are the typical/example questions which operations guide should try to address.

  • Maintenance, Failures, and Debugging
  • What are steps for planned maintenance for GlusterFS node?
  • Steps for replacing a failed node?
  • Steps to decommission a brick?
  • Logging and Monitoring
  • Where are the log files?
  • How to find-out if self-heal is working properly?
  • Which log files to monitor for detecting failures?

Operating guide needs good amount of work, hence we all need to come together for this. You can contribute for this by either of the following
  •  Let know others about the questions you want to get answered in the operating guide. ( I have set-up a etherpad for this [1])
  • Answer the questions/issues raised by others.

Comments, suggestions?
Should this be part of gluster code base i.e. /doc or somewhere else?

[1] http://titanpad.com/op-guide
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/ops/oreilly-openstack-ops-guide.pdf

Thanks,
Lala