Re: Replicate Over VPN

Replying back to list.

I don't know of a currently available clustered filesystem that allows bi-directional asynchronous replication. Even in your case where you can have manual curation, what would you want to happen when two humans modify the same files at the same time in your two geographic locations? And don't tell us it will never happen.

Synchronous replication works a bit differently everywhere, so you'll just want to double-check which is most compatible with your workflow.

In glusterfs, the client talks to all replicas and returns when each replica has confirmed it has written the data.

In ceph, the client talks to the master replica, and then that master replica forwards the writes to all the other replicas, and then confirms to the client that all the replicas are written.

For your async use case, how often does the shared data change? Perhaps something like a plain rsync every night would be sufficient? Or a ZFS send/receive if that's faster than rsync?