iSCSI and Gluster

Hi all. Again.

I am still fighting that "VMware esxi cannot use striped gluster volumes" thing, and a couple of crazy ideas are coming to mind.

One of them is using iSCSI WITH gluster, and esxi connecting via iSCSI.

My experience with iSCSI is limited to a couple of FreeNAS test installs, and some tuning on FreeNAS and esxi in order to implement multipathing, but nothing dead serious.

I remember that after creating a volume and formating it (zvol), THEN space was allocated to iSCSI. Makes some sense, since iSCIS is a block device, and after it is available, the operating system will actually use it. But it is a bit foggy.

I am trying to bypass the present limitation on Gluster, which refuses to talk to esxi using a striped volume.

So, here is the question: anyone here uses gluster and iSCSI ?

Would anyone care to comment on performance of this kind of solution, pros and cons ?

Thanks.