Re: Gluster, Samba, and VFS

On 02/10/2014 09:13 PM, Matt Miller wrote:
Stumbled upon
https://forge.gluster.org/samba-glusterfs/samba-glusterfs-vfs/commits/master
when trying to find info on how to make Gluster and Samba play nice as a
general purpose file server.  I have had severe performance problems in
the past with mounting the Gluster volume as a Fuse mount, then
exporting the Fuse mount thru Samba.  As I found out after setting up
the cluster this is somewhat expected when serving out lots of small
files.  Was hoping VFS would provide better performance when serving out
lots and lots of small files.

Is anyone using VFS extensions in production?  Is it ready for prime
time?  I could not find a single reference to it on Gluster's main
website (maybe I am looking in the wrong place), so not sure of the
stability or supported-ness of this.

We do support this VFS extension and actively welcome your feedback in this area. FWIW, Red Hat Storage 2.1 uses this plugin in its offering [1].

-Vijay

[1] https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Storage/2.1/html/Administration_Guide/sect-Administration_Guide-GlusterFS_Client-CIFS.html