Striped Volume and Client Configuration

Hi,

I have been following a guide to setup my first glusterfs setup going. I wanted to setup a striped glusterfs across 2 or more nodes. So I was able to get my striped volume setup and started. I have also setup my client to connect to the volume and the mount has been successful.

Now the guide that I've followed was for a replication setup. On the client end, the .vol configuration file contains the replicate method and is defining both of my nodes. When using this the replicate method, I can see that the file I add to my client mount will appear in both nodes. However, if i do not specify the 'replicate' volume, the file only appears on one of the server.

Now I'm trying to understand how the 'striped' volume works and how the clients stripe vs distribute method is different? Only way I was able to get files to appear on both volumes was using the 'distribute' method.

My question is, shouldn't I only have to connect to one of my volume and if the volume has been setup as a stripe?

I do really need to define both nodes on my client for the stripping to occur if the volume has been setup as a striped volume?

My goal here is not redundancy but being able to add more nodes to increase storage space when necessary. My concern here is, only the gluster-client has the ability to define multiple volumes and use the 'distribute' method. If a client using NFS or CIF, how can I ensure that stripping will occur?