Feasibility Over Lower Bandwidth Link and General Questions...

I'm doing some early research into how/if we can mirror two Samba servers connected via a 10 mbit VPN.  The intent is to have users (MS Office, AutoCAD, some GIS workstations) have a 'local' copy of all files, no matter which office location they're sitting in (and which Samba server they're working with).  We need to have the identical file (as seen by the other server) locked when the 'local' copy is open.  Then updated when saved, of course.

I'm new to this and am working my way up the learning curve with an ice axe and crampons... I'm still stumbling across the icefield and an attempt at the summit is a loooong way off.

I've learned that CephFS isn't ready for mainstream use just yet.

I've learned that XtreemFS doesn't lock files with POSIX commands... if the application using the file doesn't write a lock file (that's quickly replicated across the OSD's), the potential for both copies being edited at the same time exists.

I want to be able to ensure the local Samba server utilizes the physically local files, drives, volumes - whatever you want to call them - to avoid delays in opening and closing files over the VPN.  Striping across local and distant drives would presumably create a big speed problem.

On the face of it, is GlusterFS an option that might fit my needs?  Is there a document that explains the configuration of such an arrangement?  Clearly I'm going to be setting up a test bed of sorts eventually, but I'd prefer to start with something that *might* work, rather than something that simply can't...

Thanks!