Re: Gluster peer probe: why sometimes show host name, sometimes IP address?

On 12/16/2013 11:39 AM, Xiao Bin XB Zhang wrote:
We have a small glusterFS environment, when we setup this, and run
gluster peer probe,
some nodes are shown as host name, while others are showing IP address,

in our deployment environment, we have DSN setup, so every host name can
be correctly resolved to IP address,

but still strange that some host shown as host name, while others shown
as IP address,

Terminology:

probing node - node that initiates the probe operation
probed node  - node that is being added to the cluster

gluster peer probe is an unidirectional operation. When a new node is probed with its hostname, the probing node knows about the hostname of the probed node and adds that to its database. However the probed node gets to see only the probing node's IP address from the network connection. Hence it records only the IP address in its database. To overwrite IP address with hostname, another peer probe operation with hostname of the probing node can be done from the probed node.

-Vijay