Re: Gluster caching behaviour

On 12/02/13 06:21, Maik Kulbe wrote:
Hi,

I have a quick question on how Gluster leverages caching on the brick
servers. My bricks currently have 4GB of RAM and of that 4GB about
600-800MB per server are unused and even more gets freed from time to time.
Is it possible to configure Gluster so it uses all the RAM on those
machines?

On the server, it would not be a GlusterFS configuration.
It would be kernel tuning. If you are running a linux kernel, then setting some sysctl values can help.

I have these tuned for my system:
vm.swappiness
vm.vfs_cache_pressure
vm.dirty_background_ratio
vm.dirty_ratio
vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs
vm.dirty_expire_centisecs

This pretty much goes for any storage server that is filesystem based (ext2/3/4,xfs,btrfs,zfs...)

Very important to tune these values when you have large amounts of RAM.

--
Mr. Flibble
King of the Potato People