Disappointing documentation?

It comes up on this list from time to time that there's not sufficient
documentation on troubleshooting. I assume that's what some people mean
when they refer to disappointing documentation as the current
documentation is far more detailed and useful than it was 3 years ago
when I got started. I'm not really sure what's being asked for here, nor
am I sure how one would document how to troubleshoot. In my mind, if
there's a trouble that can be documented with a clear path to
resolution, then a bug report should be filed and that should be fixed.
Any other cases that cannot be coded for require human intervention and
are already documented.

Please tell me your thoughts.