Forcing identical machine images to have different UUIDs

I'm playing with gluster on amazon EC2 and recently hit the issue of
UUIDs being identical on machines launched from the same Amazon
Machine Image.

I would like to create a system in which these machines are to a
certain extent disposable, and where some sort of automatic discovery
and scaling can happen. To that end, I think I would like a random
UUID generated on instance launch.

How is the UUID generated and can anyone think of any problems with
this idea? Is it sufficient to just overwrite
/etc/glusterd/glusterd.info with a new random UUID line?

Thanks,
Brandon