Understanding Gluster

I have following questions:

1. I read the docs and I am still not sure if Gluster support local
drives (non nfs).
2. Somewhere in architecture document I read that files can be
accesses using HTTP, but not able to find any documentation. We are
primary Java application and now I am looking for highly scalable DFS
to store large files. How can java app access the files?
3. On glusterFS site I see a documentation section for "Gluster
Storage Platform". How is that different from "Gluster Filesystem" in
purpose and functionality.