Fwd: files not syncing up with glusterfs 3.1.2

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011, Joe Landman wrote:

> On 02/21/2011 09:53 AM, David Lloyd wrote:
>> Likewise, we're aware of the very poor performance of gluster with small
>> files. We serve a lot of large files, and we're now moved most of the small
>> files off to a normal nfs server. Again small files aren't known to break
>> gluster are they?
>
>  Small files are the bane of every cluster file system.  We recommend using
> NFS client with GlusterFS for smaller files, simply due to the additional
> caching you can get out of the NFS system.

Those who are looking for better metadata performance might want to see if
MooseFS fits their needs.  It uses a metadata server which caches the
entire filesystem metadata in RAM, so it seems to be very responsive.  I
have my home directory on GlusterFS and I did a quick trial on MooseFS.
du on GlusterFS (native FUSE, not NFS) was 1 minute 8 seconds, du on
MooseFS was 2 seconds.

Good metadata performance should equate to good small-file performance
(but you'll want to run your own tests to be sure).  Note that MooseFS
stores data with a fixed ~64KB block size, so it will be somewhat wasteful
of space on very small files.

Thanks,

Brent Nelson
Director of Computing