Distribute translator and differing brick sizes

If I am putting together several volumes of varying sizes using distribute,
what type of load balancing should I expect?  I understand hashing and it
sounds like if the disk fills, then it is not used, but can I use ALU
scheduler to cut things off before the disk becomes full to allow for growth
of directories and files?  How are people approaching this?

Thanks,
Sean