symbolic link problems

so I got a strange error in gluster logs telling me that I need to
delete a directory (tree) from all but the preferred node.

gluster 1.4.0qa57

so I deleted the thing from the undelying filesystem on one of my AFR'ed nodes

I did the find command and it mostly rebuilt and autohealed.
however, it got hung up anytime it ran into a symlink to a file that
either doesn't exist OR
does exist but the destination file exists outside of the underlying
filesystem.

Either seems to be pretty undesirable.

I presume this is a bug.

Keith