Re: New logging interface

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022, 22:16 Xavi Hernandez <xhernandez@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Strahil,

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 8:26 PM Strahil Nikolov <hunter86_bg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey Xavi,

Did anyone measure performance behavior before and after the changes?

I haven't tested performance for this change, but I don't expect any appreciable variation. The main reason to do it is to provide a simpler way to create and use log messages that makes them more flexible and consistent. It's specially useful when used with an editor that support code completion.

Given that I've rewritten a significant part of the code, I've taken the opportunity to include some things that could have a minimal performance benefit, but it's not the main reason.

If we skip the work to create the log string, when eventually we don't need to log at all (as we are not in TRACE or DEBUG levels) that could help a bit. Some of those UUID and lkowner prints for example.
Y.

Best regards,

Xavi

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 20:33, Xavi Hernandez
Hi all,

I've just posted a proposal for a new logging interface here: https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/pull/3342

There are many comments and the documentation is updated in the PR itself, so I won't duplicate all the info here. Please check it if you are interested in the details.

As a summary, I think that the new interface is easier to use, more powerful, more flexible and more robust.

Since it affects an interface used by every single component of Gluster I would like to have some more feedback before deciding whether we merge it or not. Feel free to comment here or in the PR itself.

Thank you very much,

Xavi
-------

Community Meeting Calendar: