Compile Xlator manually with lib 'glusterfs'

Hi folks,
I am trying some stuff with xlator compiling and at the moment I use a Makefile according to this manual: https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/doc/developer-guide/translator-development.md#this-time-for-real

There is a Lib called 'glusterfs' which is used by the Linker to create the so file. This refers to a package 'glusterfs-api-devel' which has to be installed when using that Lib in the Makefile. One will have a folder /usr/include/glusterfs which contains a lot of Header files from the Gluster Source.

In my opinion all the Header files inside there are also in the GLFS Source Tree and one doesn't need that library to compile xlators to so files. If I remove that library in the Makefile the compilation succeed and the xlator is running correctly.

If I want to compile a xlator without the GLFS Source Tree by using only that 'glusterfs-api-devel' the compiler misses a lot of sources.

But what is the meaning of that library now? Is the manual linked above outdated?
At the moment I prefer not using that 'glusterfs' library and compile only from the GLFS Soruce Tree.

Regards
David Spisla