Re: [Gluster-Maintainers] Client Server incompatibility with Gluster 4.0

On 10/12/2017 04:25 AM, Ric Wheeler wrote:
I worry about having to update all of the clients when we have new code on servers.

Typically, for example with NFS, the client negotiates the protocol version it understands and we default to the highest version the clients and servers both support.

I know that is a pain, but we should keep in mind what the standard is our users are accustomed to with other protocols....

I concur, upgrade to 4.0, if the older clients are not compatible, would mean a down client(s) upgrade.

Further, rolling upgrades of the server becomes a moot point, as some would be a higher version in the interim and hence prevent existing clients to talk to the same, as our upgrade process is servers first and then clients.

Which then essentially boils down to, stop services, upgrade everything, and restart the volume and the clients.

I understand the additional code and reasoning that Amar has pointed out, but taking down time for the upgrade will introduce a lot of pain for the users, and hence create resistance to upgrading to 4.0 probable and in some cases (consider the service using the gluster volume critical) not possible.

As we are about providing increased availability considering replication and the additional storage that it involves, down time for upgrades should not be a choice that we should consider, when possible.

Regards,

Ric