Re: Fwd: Impact of direct-io-mode on mail-box work load

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Bipin Kunal <bkunal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

Can someone explain me the importance of "direct-io-mode"?
    What I understand is enabling "direct-io-mode" will use FUSE cache and bypass kernel/page cache.

Will it be beneficial to enable "direct-io-mode"  or it will have adverse effect when there is very small files workload such as dovecot and other mail boxes.
As use case here is of mail boxes, it will be write once and mostly read once.

Mailbox workload involves mainly 2 major posix semantics.

1. Locking
2. Dependency on rename().

And later the challenge of small files.

In distributed systems both 1 and 2 mentioned above are harder problem to achieve without performance compromise (ref: CAP). This makes it harder problem to solve for GlusterFS usecase.

Well, I am hopeful of already proposed gfid based hashing in DHT-next algorithm to solve some of it, along with few locking enhancements people are planning by GlusterFS 4.0 timeframe, we can revisit this usecase.

For the historic nostalgia, I went through the logs to figure out when did anyone first tried mailbox related workload with glusterfs, and seems 2008 is the answer [1] :-)

Regards,
Amar

[1] - http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?24551

--