Re: Reserve Locks

Please check inline.

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Xavier Hernandez <xhernandez@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking at the locks xlator and I see that it has something called reserve locks. I remember long time ago that someone said this was defined for some purpose, but I don't remember and currently I'm unable to identify any place in the code where these locks are really used.

I think it cannot be used from the user side through FUSE, maybe through gfapi it could be used.

Not FUSE, Nor gfapi. This was added for supporting AFR's lock healing long back.

Only calls coming from the user can use it
So the questions are:

* Why are they needed ?

"git show af18c636c44b1ea56296850e55afe0e4b2ce845c" helped to understand the reason behind bring it in.

* Are they being used for something ?

This helped in opening and preserving the locks after healing a file which was open and had locks. Specially used in case of replace-brick type of operation.

* Can they be removed ?

Current AFR maintainers should confirm about it as I haven't seen code in last 4yrs.

Thank you very much,

Xavi

Amar Tumballi (amarts)