Re: Release 3.10 feature proposal : Gluster Block Storage CLI Integration

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Shyam <srangana@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/21/2016 09:15 PM, Prasanna Kalever wrote:
[Top posting]

I agree with Niels and Shyam here. We are now trying to decouple the
gluster-block cli from gluster cli.
Since anyway it doesn't depend on core gluster changes, I think its
better to move it out. Also I do not see a decent tool/util that does
these jobs, hence its better we make it as a separate project (may be
gluster-block).
The design side changes are still in discussion, I shall give an
update once we conclude on it.

Since gluster-block plans to maintain it as separate project, I don't
think we still need to make it as 3.10 feature.
With gluster-block we will aim to support all possible versions of gluster.

Should this be bundled with gluster? If so, it maybe a good thing to track that part against gluster releases (3.10 or otherwise). Just a thought.

I think gluster-block can have an independent lifecycle as it will be more iterative than gluster in terms of releases. Nevertheless for the next few Gluster releases it would be good to highlight gluster-block's capabilities as part of our release notes.

Thanks,
Vijay